Sunday, August 06, 2006

Breaking the First Rule in Knitting

OK. I admit it. I'm completely frustrated about my knitting today. I broke the First Rule in Knitting:

Do NOT knit a gift for someone without first considering if the receiver would want such an item.

Shea does not at all like her Summer Swing Top. She says it's too long. Since when did 4 year old girls get to be so picky about their clothes?! Yet, Shea always had very strong feelings about what she likes and doesn't like - she loves super tight, extra long socks, for example. Clark and Steve think I should make her wear it anyway. I don't think I can because I also broke Rule No. 2 in knitting:

Do NOT purchase cheap yarn just because it is cheap. In the end it will just look cheap.

I finished the Summer Swing Top yesterday with the button hole details instead of the ties. The casting off and on gave me some fits, and I agonized over how long to make the straps. It's complete except for weaving in ends and sewing on buttons. However, I can't make Shea wear it because I think it screams handmade and out of cheap yarn, no less. :BIG sigh: At least it was a super quick knit. I'll try to get a photo up even though I'm disheartened.

Of course, now I really want to cast on for my next project. I held off going to my LYS yesterday because I thought I had enough stash items to work on my project list. However, now I'm realizing that I broke the Rule No. 3 in knitting:

Always buy MORE than the pattern calls for - at least one skein, if only for swatching.

For some silly reason I bought KP Andean Treasure to knit Tempting, but I only bought 5 skeins. This was a few months ago when I considered knitting something other than a scarf. Now I realize that I have completed underestimated my size. It would probably fit snugly, which is OK, but I think it will be too short. I just don't think I'll have enough yarn.

And I had purchased Rowan for Jenna Adorno's other sweater featured on Knitty Gritty and SnB Nation. Now, however, I don't think I want to wear it with the big bow - way too cutesy for work. (What was I thinking!?) Yet, since I purchased two different yarns to work with I think they will look strange together without the bow/belt dividing them. I guess I could try wearing it with a belt instead, but overall I'm just not as excited about knitting it now.

So now I have 5 balls of Andean Treasure, 2 balls Rowan Calmer, and 3 balls Rowan All Seasons Cotton. All are small yardages. I have absolutely no idea what to knit with them now. And of course, who knows if I'll ever be able to match the lots, since I purchased them so long ago.

I'm now off to find patterns based on yardage. Wish me luck!

Comments:
That sucks that she doesn't like it. I still wanna see a pic of it though!

Maybe you can donate it to a shelter or something? I'm sure there's another 4 year old girl floating around that won't mind it *wink*
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?