Friday, July 28, 2006

A Long Update

Haven't posted in a long while due to a slight family emergency. I don't like to go into to many personal details, since this is posted on the Internet for anyone and everyone to see. However, I think it might not be a bad idea if I get comments back about people who have experienced a similar situation. There are positives to web sharing, as well.

In any case, a few hours after we arrived home from camping with the Cub Scouts (which I post about below), we did some TV watching together. Unfortunately, we had just started watching our recorded episode of Pimp My Ride (one of Clark's favorites, of course), and Clark is suddenly looking at me with horror in his eyes. The left half of his face was distorted with his eye twitching and his chin twitching and pulling to the right. At first I thought he was making faces, but the look on his face proved that he was frightened about what was happening. I recall screaming something like, "Clark, what's wrong!" Steve then looked over and thought he might be choking. He picked him up and gave him a small Heimlich. I was concerned that it was more serious than choking but hoped that was all it was. We kept trying to get Clark to talk to us, and then I started to realize that he really couldn't communicate or if he was we couldn't understand what he was saying. Suddenly, he seemed to snap back to normal as quickly as he snapped out.

Since he was fine so quickly, we weren't certain what to do. We contacted our "Ask a Nurse" line from our insurnance company, and they suggested that we take him to the emergency room at Children's Hospital. Clark and I promptly left, and Steve stayed home to watch Shea. We were all in shock - hoping for the best but fearing the worst.

Luckily, it wasn't too busy at the Emergency Room. We were quickly admitted and waited for a doctor. Once we explained what happened she said that she would request a CT Scan. Clark was very brave and did well. It took another 45 minutes or so for the results. The results came back normal, but the doctors diagnosed it as a possible partial seizure. It was also suggested that we have an EEG performed and a MRI, as well, to rule out anything else and clearly identify what happened.

It was shocking. I couldn't believe Clark could have epilepsy, since he plays so many video games, and we had never seen anything happen before. Plus, there didn't seem to be a history of epilepsy in our family. We were able to schedule his EEG for today, but we wouldn't be able to have his MRI completed until mid-August.

Steve and I both took a vacation day to take Clark to his EEG. It was pretty intense because we had to keep him up until midnight the night before and then wake him up at 4 AM. He needed little sleep to ensure that he could fall asleep for the test. Before falling asleep, the technician had him hyperventilate by blowing on a pinwheel. Then she placed the strobe light in front of his face and tested him with various speeds. Finally, he took his 20 minute nap. The technician had me lye down next to him for comfort during the tests, and I even fell asleep for a few minutes.

We're now anxiously awaiting the results. Still fearing the worst and hoping for the best. It is hopeful that the CT Scan would have picked up anything terribly wrong yet it came back normal.


Last weekend we headed to Lost Burro Campground near Cripple Creek, Colorado, for a fun time with Clark's Troup 252 campout. Our tent is the orange one in the middle.

It has literally been YEARS since last went camping. Steve and the kids convinced me to go, by saying, "It's only for one night!" It was a nice time. The campgrounds were lovely even if the bathroom was a 7 minute walk. (I don't do peeing in the outdoors very well.) The kids had a lot of fun. Shea joined right in with the boys on everything.

Here she is building her marshmallow gun.


We had some fun campsite neighbors who kindly shared their bubbles with us, too.


Unfortunately, I didn't get any photos of the kids playing with the campground kitty who promptly seemed to hang out at everyone's tents. We woke up a couple of times to find him/her cuddled up in our "vestibule." Such a tiny little, black kitten. It made the kids ask to have one, and I must admit that I'm seriously considering it.


Mystery Stole 2006 update - I attempted to start working on the second half of the stole. Unfortunately, my knitting was not cooperating. I decided to start working on the other side of Clue 1. There was way too much slack in the cast on that I needed to tighten up. (The knitty provisional cast on instructions were terrific, but I doubt I'll ever use two needles or a larger one to cast on over again. ) I ended up with about 2 feet of extra yarn. Yet I ran into a snag at the end because there was a knot! It may have been my first cast on slip knot, but whatever it was it would not budge. Since it's laceweight yarn, I just can't seem to get into the knot to lossen it up. I was so frustrated I decided to give up and start over. I never frogged it though in the hopes I might be able to finally work the knot out. However, the more I think about it the more I think I won't complete this stole. I'm not overly thrilled with the design and my bead placement.

With Mysterly Stole 2006 set aside I decided to take Shea's Summer Swing Tank to Clark's EEG. It's nice to work on something a little mindless after the lace of the Mystery Stole and Ella.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?