Thursday, April 27, 2006

Finished Objects

Now here's my post to catch up on my Finished Objects.

I completed a baby cap for a co-worker. (Sorry for the poor photo.)
Pattern: Mix between Barb's Twizzle Baby Hat and Stitch 'N Bitch Umbilical Cord Hat
Yarn: Plymouth Yarn Jimmy Beenz
Needle Size: 8
Completed: 4/2/06
Special Notes: This is my second version of this hat although with different yarn colors. It's a little large for a newborn. I should probably reduce the number of cast-on stitches.


I also finished my first felted project - a little purse for Shea.
Pattern: Hello Yarn Fulled Lopi Tote
Yarn: Plymouth Galway & Lion Brand Fun Fur
Needle Size: US Size 10
Completed: 4/9/06
Special Notes: Since it was a worsted weight yarn I used the smaller needle size, but increasing by two sizes from the yarn's recommendation, as suggested in the Knitty article: Felt This! I went ahead and casted on 80 stitches due to the smaller yarn size but only knitted to about 9 inches instead of 16 inches. The Galway yarn felted beautifully with only one 15 minute pass through the washer. Then I broke a felting rule by throwing it into the dryer, but it sped up the entire process and I was extremely pleased with the results.


Next, I felted my second bag - a Mother's Day gift.
Pattern: Hello Yarn Fulled Lopi Tote
Yarn: Takhi Donegal Tweed Homespun, Moda Dea Gleam Blue Topaz, Lion Brand Fun Fur
Needle Size: 10
Completed: 4/17/06
Special Notes: Felting this bag proves that I must purchase a zippered pillow case. Not only did I have to send the purse through 3 different cycles, but the laundry bag I was using kept coming open and, of course, this would be the yarn which could ruin my washer's pump. I spent quite a while scooping out as much fuzz from the water as I could. I'm still not entirely pleased with the size (too big & floppy) and plan to run it through another cycle with my second Mother's Day Lopi Tote. It's actually greener in person than my photo shows.



Finally, I finished The Leg Warmers.
Pattern: my own design
Yarn: Plymouth Dreambaby DK
Needle Size: 6 (picot bottom edging) & 4 (ribbing & top picot edging)
Completed: 4/22/06
Special Notes: Since I've posted many times about my woes while knitting the leg warmers, I won't bore you by reiterating them. Needless to say, I've very happy I finally finshed them. I added ribbon (from my scrapbooking stash - at least it's a little helpful) to the eyelet holes at the top. The ribbon is supposed to keep the leg warmers up because there isn't a lot of stretch to the yarn, but, of course, it doesn't work as nicely as I thought it might. Yet it does add a pretty touch, and the beads are from a Shea's princess purse handle which broke probably a year ago. Don't know why I've been saving them for so long, but Shea likes to play with them. (She calls them her "babies." Very cute, but a little odd. I just love listening to her play talk.) I thought it was fitting that they could be used for something dear to her once again.


Whew! Wow! Now that I have it all written down, I'm realizing that's quite a few projects for only one month. Right now I have 2 projects on the needles. The second Mother's Day Lopi Tote and my Calla Tank.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?