Friday, March 24, 2006

Sushi, Xanadu, Nippon-Kan & Rowan

Took the kids out for their first sushi last night. Steve was having dinner with a vendor, and since he's not much of a sushi fan, I thought it would be a fun, new thing to do with the kids. Clark had a field trip to Nippon-Kan today, and they got to eat a Japanese meal. Unfortunately, since they make a lot of their dishes with peanut oil, it may not be a good thing for Clark to try with his peanut allergy and all. That meant he had to bring a lunch. He really wanted to try sushi.

So we went to Blue Koi, a nearby sushi restaurant that some of our friends and neighbors have been to. The kids enjoyed trying the California rolls, terriyaki chicken rolls, and shrimp tempura rolls. (I though that cooked sushi would be the way to go for their age.) I also ordered some crab rangoons and shrimp shumai. Clark really enjoyed the sushi, although he wasn't too keen on the avocado. Shea didn't like the sushi so much. She mostly ate the crab rangoons and shrimp shumai. I was surprised that they actually felt full after eating only a few pieces. We also had green tea ice cream for dessert. Shea said it was like "eating perfume." They loved the ice cream. Then we ordered a California roll to go for Clark's field trip.

Confession time - I have always loved Xanadu. Don't know if it's because of Olivia Newton-John, ELO, Gene Kelly or goofy Greek mythology references (probably all of the above), but I've been a closet Xanadu freak, since I was in middle school, which at my age means A LONG TIME. Anyway, I finally decided to rent it from Netflix. (Gotta love Netflix! We've been subscribers almost since their inception!) I thought that Shea would enjoy it, and she did! Of course, she loved Olivia and the singing, but she also really like the ruffled, pastel dresses Olivia wore. Perfect Shea clothing. And too funny that she noticed the leg warmers, too! I kept gigging about the over-the-top early 80's fashions and cheesy computer graphics! Clark on the other hand fell asleep while we were watching it. He's such a boy!

I took a day off today to help chaperone Clark's field trip to Nippon-Kan. Of course, the kids really loved it. They got to see a little bit of Japanese culture, take off their shoes, fold an origami samurai fan, and watch an Aikido demonstration. The organization even gifted our elementary school Peakview with three beautiful carp kites! Perfect, they said, to fly at Boys' Day and Girls' Day.

Then we had lunch, and all of the kids enjoyed trying to eat with chopsticks! Clark enjoyed his sushi, and I'm happy we brought some for him.


All I can say is that I have the DEEPEST respect for the Kindergarten and First Grade teachers who have to deal with 20 some overly energetic kids all day! I was exhausted by the time we got back, and we were only gone for 3-1/2 hours.

It did give me a little free time to head to Knitty Cat before I had to pick up Shea and Clark. What a beautiful store! I must admit that I have finally become a full-fledged "yarn snob." I've been obsessing all week about starting Ultra-femme and trying to find a substitute for the GGH Soft Kid Mohair (too warm and potentially too scratchy). Knitty Cat had everything (Rowan, GGH, and so much more) to actually look at! So much better than trying to make a decision about color and texture online! Since I found Rowan All-Seasons Cotton and Calmer in the perfect shade of periwinkle I've been considering, I went ahead and purchased them. At $50 it's my largest purchase for one knitted item yet. Calmer is my sub for the mohair. Of course, it's not the same gauge, but I'm hoping that it will be shapely without being bulky or overly warm. It really feels luciously soft. Can't wait to get started.


I will not start Ultra-femme until I'm finished with at least one of Shea's leg warmers! So much for my last project schedule. Ultra-femme has now been pushed to the front of the line. ;)

Comments:
I'm a reply slacker, rofl. I LOVE XANADU TOO!!!!!!!!!!! It's one of my alltime fave movies :) Have you started on UF yet? I wanna see! Where are you? I forgot when you were coming to PHX. Are you here already? I have a bad memory.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?